Care and social services
Care of the elderly
The efforts made within elderly care are aimed at making everyday life easier for people who, due to their age or illness need support to be able themselves to cope on their own.
An application is required for the majority of such efforts. An administrative case officer receives the application, investigates the need of help and makes the necessary decisions for the different efforts to be made. The administrative case officer can be reached via the Municipality's telephone switchboard, telephone number +46 470-410 00.
A few examples of the support that is available:
- Home help that makes it easier for the elderly to remain living at home. Home help can help with personal care, for example, help with getting dressed, help at meal times and support during walks. Home help can also help with cleaning, washing clothes and shopping.
- Security alarm – with the help of a portable alarm button be able to contact home help personnel, for example, in the event of a fall.
- Food distribution (Meals on Wheels) provides a ready cooked meal that is delivered directly to the home.
- There are meeting places where people are welcome to come and have a chat, a cup of coffee, or to take part in some form of activity.
People who can no longer live in their own homes can apply for a place in a service apartment for the elderly. In such facilities there are personnel available 24 hours a day. These homes are usually divided into groups with smaller number of apartments in each group. Adjacent to the apartments there are common areas for the possibility of socialising, meals and activities.
There are also temporary places for people who are in need of care and/or nursing for a limited period of time.
Support for people with functional impairments
People that have a functional impairment can be given support and service in order to be able to live with like other people and actively take part in society.
An application is required for the majority of such efforts for people with a functional impairment. An administrative case officer receives the application, investigates the need of help and makes the necessary decisions for the different efforts to be made. The administrative case officer can be reached via the Municipality's telephone switchboard, telephone number +46 470-410 00.
A few examples of the support available:
- Personal assistance is personal support for people who, due to their functional impairment, require help with their basic needs. This can be a question of personal hygiene, meals, to dress and undress and to communicate with others.
- A contact person is a person who helps people with functional impairment to enjoy meaningful leisure time, for example, by socialising and help in conjunction with recreational activities.
- The companion service is a function coupled to activities outside the home. Help from such a companion shall make it easier to come out into society and take part in cultural and recreational activities, visit relatives and friends, or simply to take a walk.
- People with psychological functional impairments who need support to look after their homes or to start various occupations can receive help in the form of housing support. There is also a meeting place for people with psychological functional impairments where it is possible to meet other people and take part in activities.
For people who cannot cope with living in a normal home due to their functional impairments there is special service housing available.
Home medical care
People that suffer from an illness or functional impairment that is deemed to require health and nursing care in the home may qualify for home medical care.
People who take care of a relative in the home have the possibility of receiving support and relief, for example, by relief supplied in the home or by home help.